Saturday, March 6, 2010

Fabric decorated Baby Onesie Tutorial

Today it was raining cats and dogs today – with thunderstorms, hail and flooding in the afternoon. Yes, that is supposed to be summer in Melbourne ;-)

So the best thing you can do is... crafting. And today I want to show you my latest baby project: baby onesies decorated with scrap fabric elements.

It is a great project. Super-easy! Super-quick! Super-chic! Super impressive! I made a couple for all my friends, who expect babies at the moment, and some for my little one as well. And it didn’t take me longer than 2 hours. So much fun!!!

All you need is:
Iron the onesie and the piece of scrap fabric.

Cut out a piece of Vliesofix and iron it with its sticky side onto the left side of the piece of scrap fabric (that is the side where the colour looks more faded, also often called the 'wrong side'). The recommendation is to iron it for 3-4 seconds on heat ** with dry heat.

The Vliesofix should cover the piece of scrap fabric completely (be careful the Vliesofix will become very sticky and will stick to the ironing board very easily, make sure that you remove it quite quickly from the board).

Cut out the piece of scrap fabric accurately that you want on front of the onesie. Due to the Vliesofix the edges won’t frazzle.

That is how my piece of fabric looked afterwards.

Then peel back the paper side of the Vliesofix on the back of the piece of fabric.

Place the piece of fabric onto the onesies – wherever you want it to be. I positioned mine in the front middle. Then cover it with a damp cloth and iron it onto the onesie for 8-10 seconds, pressing it down lightly on heat **.

Let the finished onesie lay flat for 20 minutes to cool down. And then voila – admire it ;-)

I hope you find this tutorial helpful. It is my first, so please let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything I could improve.

2 comments:

Anneke said...

That's a nice idea! And the onesie looks cute!

* Ninotschka * said...

Thanks so much! They are really easy-peasy and so rewarding to make ;-)