Although I have read tons of books and heard millions of stories from other mums, the class wasn’t in vain.
My key learnings from this class are:
- If I am still smiling, then I am not in active labour, yet. So, no need to panic and rush to the hospital just yet.
- Spend as much of early labour as possible at home. It can last for up to 16 hours. So make yourself comfortable and distract yourself. Watch a DVD. Read. Play backgammon. Sleep. Eat. Take a walk.
- Do whatever feels good. Try different positions: sitting, lying, kneeling, walking,... . Try hot packs. Try massage.
- Relaxation CDs make me aggressive. So I better put all my Cafe del Mar CDs onto my iPod.
- Keep on breathing! No specific technique required. Just try to keep it slow and regular.
- However painful the labour might be: it is just one day in your life. And you are working towards a wonderful result: your baby!
Other things that made me vey happy: my lovely husband can stay with us day and night (even in the theatre, if a C-section is required), my lovely baby will stay with us in our room all the time (in case she is not sick!) and I can use my mobile and my laptop (in case the labour really drags on).
Well, I am almost looking forward to labour now. Well, almost. But I definitely look forward to our second class next Saturday.