Saturday, May 1, 2010

Moin Hamburg

At the beginning of each month I want to show you places where I’d rather be at that very moment. As you know I am constantly either travelling or dreaming of travelling and I want to share my favourite bars, restaurants, hotels, cities and countries around the world with you. And I am looking for your recommendations for my next trips.
* * *
Today I want to take you to Hamburg with me. When I worked in Berlin, I often had to go to Hamburg on business trips. So I got to know a lot of hotels in Hamburg. And I have never found a nicer, more comfortable and friendlier place than the Hotel Wedina. It is in St.Georg, which used to be a quite doggy area near Central Station. Now it is quite hip as you can tell by all the amazing shops, cafes and restaurants in ‘Lange Reihe’. The Hotel Wedina is just around the corner from towards the Aussenalster. So you have a hip street on the one end of little side road and the beautiful waterfront at the other end. And it is just a quick 10 minute walk from Central Station.

The Hotel Wedina actually consists of four different houses (as opposed to one big chunky one) and each of them has its own character. My favourite house is the green one, which is in a quite backyard and has amazing studios. The yellow and blue houses are lovely as well. The red one is the smallest and the rooms can be tiny there, but that is also reflected in the price so it really depends on what you are after.

The interior is just a constant inspiration for me. Look at the amazing bathrooms. Isn’t it beautiful how they combined honey-coloured wood, modern appliances and blank concrete walls?
\

I also love the modern architecture of the studios. They are build over four levels: level one entrance and kitchen, level two living room and balcony, level three bathroom and wardrobe, level four bedroom. These levels are connected via a beautiful open staircase, which makes the space incredibly big and light.

They don’t have a bar or mini-bar at the Wedina. Which is no problem, taking into consideration that the most amazing bars are just around the corner. Nevertheless if you feel like a nightcap the lovely people at Wedina are more than happy to bring you a perfect Campari Orange to your room. Ahhhh, what more do you need after a long day of work or shopping in the city.

Where: 21 Gurlittstraße, 20099 Hamburg , Germany
phone: 040 280890-0, email: info@wedina.de

Highlight: breakfast in the beautiful courtyard with freshly baked little bread rolls, amazing ‘Kräuterquark’ and freshly brewed coffee

More photos, information and ideas: Hotel Wedina, Lange Reihe, TurnhalleRestaurant Central  

No comments: