Monday, March 28, 2011

All I need is a little respect, baby


Every Monday I will post something related to babies: inspiration, craft projects, baby news, and discoveries I have made in this new and exciting world for me. I hope you come along on that rollercoaster ride with me.
* * *

What you want (hooo) baby I got it
What you need (hooo) you know I got it
(Hooo) all I'm asking (hooo) is for a little respect
( Just a little bit) when you come home
(Just a little bit) hey baby ( Just little bit)
When you come home (Just a Little Bit) Mister

Respect by Aretha Franklin, lyrics found here

Children and especially babies get a lot: attention, hugs, toys, clothes, friendly smiles,...

... but what they still don’t get is

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Or how would you call it respectful if some stranger comes up to you and tries to touch you. Or if the tilt girl in the drugstore tells you that you look oh so cubby (even if you just have a little bit of a round face). Or if someone shovels food into your mouth even if you try to avoid the spoon. Or if someone picks you up while you were relaxing on the floor. Or if someone ignores you while you want to communicate with him or her.



Respect is one of the key words in Emmi Pikler’s book “Friedliche Babies – zufriedene Mütter“ which I am reading at the moment. And while I don’t agree completely with her parenting approach, I think her basic principle is great. It is about respecting babies from the start. And trying to support them in their natural and personal development and not ‘pushing’ them forward.

So I am now showing my little one a bit of respect and play with her, because she has ‘asked’ me to do so for the last 5 minutes.

No comments: