Thursday, June 9, 2011

Eye Candy: Kokeshi Dolls

Inspired by Melanie’s finds here, I discovered the world of Japanese Kokeshi dolls. I have seen them before, but I didn’t know they were called Kokeshi and what their characteristics were. After a little research I found out that:
  • these dolls come from Japan (no big surprise, really), from northern Japan to be precise
  • they are handmade from wood, have a simple body and an enlarged head
  • one characteristic of them is that they don’t have any arms or legs (or at least you cannot see them)
  • there are "traditional" and “creative” kokeshi – the former being quite strict in terms of colours, shapes and patterns (they are usually particular to a certain region in Japan), whereas the latter allowing more creative freedom
Well, I guess these are a mix of regions as well as a mix of "traditional" and “creative” kokehsi, but they are all soooo  beautiful to me:
Found here

Found here

Found here

Found here

Found here

4 comments:

toadstooldots said...

Ich find die Kokeshis auch total suess, aber der Oberhit bei uns sind grad Momijis (http://lovemomiji.com/). Meine Tochter und ich "streiten" uns darum.

lg uta

oh-mimmi said...

... ich liebe kokeshis! Aber, wenn ich alles sammeln würde, was mir gut gefällt, bräuchten wir noch ein zweites Haus.

Christel

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

They are all really sweet! And it's interesting that you talk about the regions they come from, I'm pretty sure I know exactly the place that last pair come from.

I'm so glad I inspired you too!

* Ninotschka * said...

@Melanie: I am really hooked ;-) I'll definitely find out more about the different regions and their unique styles.
@Christel: Ich weiss, soviel Platz und Geld kann man gar nicht haben, um meine diversen Sammelleidenschaften zu befriedigen. Insofern sammel ich mal lieber virtuell ;-)
@ Uta: Oh nein, noch mehr Niedlichkeiten. Bin ich froh, dass ich meine Schaetze noch nicht mit meiner Kleenen teilen muss ;-)