Friday, December 9, 2011

Homemade Christmas: ‘Stolen’ Piece of Art

It is almost Christmas. Unbelievable, but so true.
This year I decided to make my Christmas as homemade as possible.
Because I love crafting and doing lots of crafts as decorations and presents
make my day uhmm December. So I try to share one idea for a homemade Christmas with you
as often as possible and hope that you feel inspired, amused or simply festive.
Happy Christmas time to all of you!
I know stealing art is not nice. Actually it is forbidden in most countries I know and there are certainly good reasons for that. I did it nevertheless. Well, of course, I didn’t storm into a museum or gallery and took my favourite piece of art away without paying. But I stole a great idea for a piece of art and recreated it at home. Still ‘stealing’ but not in the real mean way ;-)
I have always admired this beautiful collage – so much that I took the magazine it was in with me back from Australia to Germany and believe me my criteria for things to come home with me were strict (given the charges for excess luggage).
The original is made of antique doilies, but unfortunately I didn’t inherit anything like that. So I had to work with paper ones. Fortunately I already had a broad variety of shapes and sizes (please don’t ask me why, I just found them beautiful, they were not expensive and I didn’t had a clue what I would use them for when I bought them). I also had one fabric doilie and I have absolutely no idea where it came from ;-)
Apart from the doilies the only other thing I needed was a white picture frame (which I had stacked behind my desk) and a black background which I just made out of heavyweight cardboard.

So I simply grouped and re-grouped and re-grouped my doilies until I came up with this combination. I quickly stuck the three ‘finalists’ with a bit of double-sided tape on the back to the cardboard and put it in the frame. Voila!
I think it looks almost as nice as the original. And since there is no way that I could have afforded the original by Fleur Wood, an Australian fashion designer, even if all proceeds for this piece of art went to charity, I think it is great.

So while I don’t want to incite you to steal your favourite piece of art, I want to encourage you to make your own piece of art. Maybe it is inspired by something you saw. Maybe not. But the most important thing is that you (or the person you give it to) love(s) it. Because for me the key purpose of art is to inspire you. To make you happy. To brighten your day.
And that is what my doilies art will do for me every day from now on.

3 comments:

Paula said...

Super Idee! ... eigtnlich so einfach und doch so gut und so ungewöhnlich!!

Toll!

* Ninotschka * said...

Danke dir! Ich war auch begeistert wie toll meine nachgemachte Version aussieht. Obwohl nur aus einfachsten "Zutaten" ;-)

Consultoria RH said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.