Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Bridal Flower Power


On Wednesdays I share everything wedding with you: tips, projects, organisation, photos, faux-pas, fun things and golden rules I ‘learned’ from my own wedding. I feel I need to give something back to the fabulous blog community who helped me stay sane and enjoy every second of my ‘big day’.
* * *

Flowers – a big part of most weddings. I like flowers and I think that they add a lot of charm and glamour to any celebration. Especially to a wedding.
BUT
I also think that it is a shame that they fade so quickly. Especially if they are used as decoration without a proper vase or held in shaky hands.

Bridal Bouquets
My grandmother loves flowers. She has a beautiful garden full of them. She always has an amazing bouquet in her living room. She has the biggest collection of vases I have ever seen – for bouquets of all shapes, sizes and colours. And she was into ikebana – the Japanese art of flower arrangement – when no one knew how to pronounce it in Munich. Therefore she was very happy, when I asked her to choose the flowers for my two bridal bouquets together.

My bridal bouquet at the registry was a symphony in hot pink. My dress and coat were classic black and white so I thought I needed a bit of fun and zing by adding pink shoes, a pink baguette bag and this pink bunch of flowers.


For the big day at church, we chose a more classic yet fresh combination of a variety of white flowers, lots of green leaves and a few fake pearls. As you can see I love small, round bouquets, because they are easy to carry, don’t distract too much from the dress and the smile of the bride and they are easy to throw as well. Congratulations again, lovely A., I cannot wait for your big day ;-)


Great job, grandma. I still love them!!!


Flowers as church decoration
As our church was really big and also a bit run-down (so Berlin ;-)), I knew that we needed lots of flowers to glam it up a bit. I was a bit concerned about the budget though, because towards the end of the German autumn flowers are not only expensive, but they also would surely die after a couple of hours in a freezing cold church. As so often, the problem was resolved without any effort. Some months prior to the wedding I got an email from a couple which got married just before our ceremony and we decided to share the set-up and costs of the flowers. They would put the flowers up and we would take them down. We also quickly agreed on gladioli in white and red for the aisle, because they were still in season and added lots of colour per stem. Didn’t it turn out beautifully?


Flowers as table decoration
At the restaurant, in which we celebrated after church, we decided against a very traditional and sophisticated look with flower centrepieces. We opted for a very casual atmosphere, because we wanted the celebration to turn into a party quickly, in which all guests – family and friends – would feel at ease straight away. So our briefing for the flower decorations was simply: a variety of white flowers in single glass vases. It looked like a flower field in spring.


Flower girl
I absolutely adore flower girls. When the daughter of my friend U. agreed to be my flower girl, I was over the moon. I still remember how proud I was and how special I felt when my sister and I were my cousin’s flower girls more than 25 years ago. And it was the same with little M. on my wedding day. She took her ‘duties’ so seriously, she was so proud to pose with the bride for photos and she was as excited about being a flower girl as I have been all those years ago:

No comments: